20130704

PEAR HIBISCUS SORBET in Gingersnap Cups


This is a recipe I tried out when I got a bag of pears from a friend.  As a single person I can't eat a whole bag of pears before they go bad but I sure can use them up in some interesting recipes.

This is my first sorbet. Technically it's more of a granita since I don't have an ice cream maker but to heck with technicalities, this was not the texture of a granita. It was silky and creamy and delicious.  The gingersnap cups came into the mix when I decided to share some of my pear sorbet and serve it up as a dessert at a dinner party.

PEAR HIBISCUS SORBET
IN GINGERSNAP CUPS

PEAR SORBET:

Ingredients:

4 Pears
1 Tsp. Sugar
1/2 C. Water
3 Tbsp. Lemoncello*
1/4 Tsp. Hibiscus Elixir
1 Pear for Garnish
Hibiscus Flower for Garnish

Directions:
  • Peal, slice and core the pears. I used a combination of Red D'anjou, Barlett and Bosc.
  • Puree the pears, hibiscus syrup and sugar in a blender until smooth
  • Simmer this pear mixture in a saucepan about 3 - 4 minutes.
  • Add the hibiscus elixir and the Lemoncello and stir in completely. (The alcohol keeps your sorbet from freezing too hard.) I used my own homemade Lemoncello!
  • Refrigerate until completely cool.  Refrigerating prior to freezing keeps the ice crystals smaller and makes a smoother sorbet.
  • Freeze in a covered bowl in the freezer until solid or use your ice cream maker to freeze.

GINGERSNAP CUPS:

Ingredients

2 Gingersnap*** Crumbs, Ground Fine
3 Tbsp. Unsalted Butter, Melted

Directions
  • Preheat your oven to 350 F.
  • Spray cupcake molds with cooking spray
  • Grind the baked gingersnaps in a blender or small food processor.
  • Slowly add the melted butter until a dough forms
  • Take a small handful (about 2 or 3 tablespoons) of the dough and press down and around the sides of your baking cups
  • Bake 7 minutes and allow to cool
  • Release the cups by tipping the cupcake pan over and gently patting the back of the cups.

ASSEMBLY & PLATING:

Ingredients:

Pear Sorbet in Gingerbread Cup
Hibiscus Syrup
3 - 5 Fresh Pear Slices
1 Wild Hibiscus Flower preserved in the syrup.
Some Interesting Cake Decorations*

Directions:

  • Squiggle a little of the hibiscus syrup onto the plate in a nice pattern.
  • Spoon the sorbet into the gingersnap cups.
  • Place your Pear Sorbet filled Gingersnap Cup onto the syrup a little off center.
  • Arrange your pear slices around the cup as a garnish then place the hibiscus flower on the pear sorbet.
  • Sprinkle on some of the cake decorations.

**Candied ginger makes a nice substitute for the cake decorations!


Tomorrow I'll post up the Pear & Blue Cheese Bruschetta I used some more of my pears in AND the Pear Champagne Martini that I used some of this Pear Sorbet in as well!
 

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Pinterest Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.