20130719

CORAL ISLAND COOKIES - Thumbprint Cookies Recipe

 
CORAL ISLAND COOKIES
also known as Thumbprint Cookies
 
This is my second favorite cookie of all time, my favorite being my Mom's Gingersnap Cookies.  My Mom had this recipe handwritten in her recipe book since before I was born and I have no idea where she got the recipe from and really don't care!  Mom made these with mixed fruit jelly and I loved them but I usually use seedless blackberry or boysenberry jam.  They are rich, buttery and literally melt in your mouth and I crave these at least once a week.

I don't like, nor have the time, to bake that much but I have solved that problem simply by quadrupling the recipe and freezing the dough for later baking.  I usually go through to the step of rolling the dough into balls then freeze the individual balls on a cookie sheet.  Then I bag them up by 6 or 8 so I can just defrost a bag whenever I have a craving!
 
CHOCOLATE THUMBPRINT COOKIES: Yes! You can omit the jelly, bake the cookies and the moment you take the cookies out of the oven press a chocolate kiss into the cookie! Don't press the chocolate kiss in before baking - it burns the chocolate.

MOM'S CORAL ISLAND COOKIES

INGREDIENTS:
 
2/3 C. Butter
1 Tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/3 C. Sifted Flour
Your Favorite Jelly or Jam
1 Egg Yolk (reserve the egg white)
1/3 C. Brown Sugar
Optional: Chopped Pecans or Other Nut

DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • Grease your cookie sheet(s) or line them with parchment. (I prefer parchment as it keeps the cookie bottom from getting too brown).
  • Cream together the butter, sugar, egg yolk and vanilla extract.
  • Add the flour a little at a time, blending completely.
  • Shape the dough into 1" diameter balls.
  • Place the balls about 3" apart on your cookie sheet(s).
  • Press your thumb into each cookie ball for a well for the jelly/jam.
  • Beat the reserved egg white until foamy and brush on top of the cookies.
  • Spoon in the jam or jelly.
  • Sprinkle on the optional chopped nuts.
  • Bake 12 - 15 minutes.
Enjoy and send a little "hello" up to my Mom while you enjoy them - I think she would like that!
 

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Pinterest Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.