20090401

DON'T LET INSECTS BUG YOU - COOK 'EM UP FOR SNACKS!

GOT INSECTS IN YOUR GARDEN? TURN THEM INTO TINY FOODS!

SAUTEED GARLIC GRASSHOPPERS

1 Stick of unsalted butter
8 Cloves of Fresh Garlic, minced
1 Cup of Fresh Grasshoppers, cleaned

Directions:
Melt your butter in a skillet over medium heat then sauté the garlic until soft. Add grasshoppers and cook until nice and crisp, about 10 to 15 minutes. Serve with a nice cold Grasshopper Martini from TheMartiniDiva.com!

CHOCOLATE COVERED FIRE ANTS

1000 Large Black Ants (Use 2,000 if the ants are small)
4 Cups Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/8 Tsp. Cayenne Pepper
1 Tsp. Red Pepper Flakes, Ground into a fine powder

Keep your ants nice and fresh in a jar with a little sugar to keep them happy and alive until ready to coat them. Fresh sugar fed ants are much sweeter on the palate.
In a double boiler melt your chocolate chips until nice and creamy, add your spices and turn the burner off - the hot water will keep your chocolate melted long enough to add your ants.
Gently fold in your ants so as not to break them, broken ants loose their flavor and moistness!
With two very small spoons, scoop out some of your chocolate ant mixture and gently spoon it onto a parchment paper lined cookie sheet and allow to cool for at least an hour before serving.
Your chocolate fire ants can be kept refrigerated for up to a week in the refrigerator. TIP: If you like even more heat use red ants!

Serve with a Chocolate Martini from TheMartiniDiva.com.

Yes, I'm kidding - BUT you really can use these recipes and eat grasshoppers and ants! I've eaten both - as well as some other pretty wild food. Grasshoppers (Chapulines) taste a little like popcorn to me and the chocolate covered ants a bit like chocolate covered raisins!

HAPPY APRIL FOOL'S DAY!

Proceed at your own risk. Anyone with any allergies to insects of any kind should avoid eating them as well as being bitten by them.

-------------------------

If you have a Tiny Food question, please feel free to ask me in a comment and I'll respond back here in the comments section or in a new post!

My Favorite Tiny Food Recipes at PopArtDiva.Com
All my recipes for food and drink at the PopArtDiva Bistro
Buy Great Products at The DIVA of TINY FOODS Shoppe!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I can honestly say I do not think I want to try the ants, I'll just take you word for it, that they are good, :). But I love the other recipes!

    ReplyDelete

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.