20101230

Butter Tarts Recipe for Your New Year's Party


BUTTER TART RECIPE

These Butter Tarts are little flaky, sweet bites of buttery goodness.  They're very much like miniature pecan pies with some dried fruit added.  In my case I've added dried cranberries but the classic butter tart recipe calls for raisins.  I've done these with dried apricots - which really rocks with the pecans, dried cherries and I've done them without the fruit as well.  I just don't like raisins much so I've never done them with raisins!  Yes, I was one of those kids who would sit there and pick out all the raisins from my oatmeal cookies and my breakfast pastries!

No matter what you put inside of them, be it the pecans or walnuts, raisins or another dried fruit, it's the butter that makes these such delectable little bites of pastry melt in your mouth.  They are a classic holiday food in Canada and, according to Wikipedia they are "considered one of only a few recipes of genuinely Canadian origin. - One of the earliest known Canadian recipes is from northern Ontario and dates back to 1915."

In Scotland similar versions are called Ecclefechan butter tarts, in France they are called tarte à la frangipane where almonds replace the pecans, but the base recipe always consists of butter, sugar, and eggs in a pastry shell.

These make a great addition to your New Year's holiday buffet or dinner and they are very easy to do, especially if you're lazy like me and buy your pastry shells instead of making your own!

Tomorrow I'm posting a recipe for Candied Nutz so grab a couple bags of pecans or walnuts (about 4 cups) and make sure you've got brown sugar, white sugar, an egg and some parchment paper!


Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.