20080227

Deep Fried Asparagus Appetizers

I used to do an art show in Stockton, California called The Asparagus Festival. They served asparagus up in hundreds of ways but my favorite was the Deep Fried Asparagus. I used to love doing that show because of that delicious treat!

So, here's a recipe I found that closely follows what they did at The Asparagus Festival in Stockton. Enjoy!

Text Recipe for Deep Fried Asparagus:
Ingredients:
3 Pounds of Raw Asparagus, Cleaned and Cut into 5" pieces.
1/2 Cup Cornstarch
Peanut Oil
3/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
1/2 Ts. White Pepper
1 Tsp Salt
2/3 Cup Cold Flat Beer
1 Tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 Tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 Tsp. Celery Salt
2 Egg Whites
Toasted Sesame Seeds
Parmesan Cheese
Directions:
Whisk all the ingredients, except the asparagus, in a bowl. Dip the asparagus individually in the batter and deep fry in at least 2 inches of peanut oil until golden brown. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and/or Parmesan cheese.

COOKING TIP: Keep the batter bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice - this helps the batter butterfly out like tempura!

These would be great served with one of my favorite recipes from my martini blog, The Martini Diva, go check out the blog and check out all the recipes in the blog archive!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.