20130321

CREAMY ASPARAGUS BRUSCHETTA RECIPE


 Just in time for all that Fresh Spring Asparagus!
CREAMY ASPARAGUS BRUSCHETTA

These Creamy Asparagus Bruschetta are absolutely delicious, not to mention pretty healthy!  They're a perfect cold appetizer to serve for Spring with all the lovely fresh asparagus popping up (from the ground and in your markets!)  I discovered these at a nice cocktail party but those were made with mayonnaise and served on crackers which got soggy, so  I made what I thought were some appropriate changes.

First, I substituted Greek yogurt for the mayonnaise, and I blanched my asparagus instead of boiling it so my asparagus would be al dente. Also, that recipe didn't have capers and I don't think they used the caper juice, just lemon juice, but I like the extra tartness the capers and juice added.

I also like using capers in recipes because then I get to tell people that capers are the pickled buds of a flower! Capers (Capparis spinosa) are the bud from the Caper Bush which is sometimes called a Flinders Rose, and it is indigenous to the Mediterranean.  Little Tip: Be sure to taste you mixture before you salt it because capers bring a bit of salt on their own. (But you know that you should be tasting your recipes as you cook, right?)

You can plate these up and serve as individual appetizers as pictured or you can leave the Creamy Asparagus in a serving bowl with a serving spoon and set the baguette slices in a bowl or basket next to it as a DIY buffet dish.  When I'm rushed I take option two! 

I changed the recipe a bit after the photo.  I noticed that the one inch sized pieces I originally chopped the asparagus into when I first served these made the bruschetta a little difficult to eat, so next time I made this I chopped the asparagus into smaller pieces which worked much better!

BTW, a little trivia for you:  If you substitute caper berries and caper juice in a Dirty Martini you will then be having a Filthy Martini!  Which would be a pretty good cocktail to serve with these!

INGREDIENTS

1 Small Baguette
1 Bunch of Asparagus
1/2 C. Unflavored Greek Yogurt
2 Tbsp. Fresh Dill, Chopped
2 Tbsp. Capers
1 Tbsp. Caper Juice
1 Tsp. Lemon Juice
1 Clove Garlic, Chopped Fine
Salt & Pepper to Taste
16 Asparagus Tips, 3"+/- Long
4 Cups Cold Water
1 C. Ice

TOOLS

Large Sauce Pan
Large Bowl
1 Large Collender
Chef's Knive
Small Mixing Bowl
Large Bowl
Mixing Spoon

DIRECTIONS
  • Blend together the yogurt, dill, garlic, capers and caper juice, lemon juice, garlic, salt and pepper in the small mixing bowl. Set aside.
  • Slice the baguette into 1/2" slices on the bias then place under the broiler until slightly browned, set aside. You should get about 16 - 18 pieces.
  • Clean, peel and dry the asparagus then cut into 1/2" long pieces on the bias.
  • Add the ice to the ice water in the large bowl.
  • Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil, add all the asparagus pieces and blanch for 5 minutes.
  • Quickly move the asparagus to the iced water to shock. This stops the cooking process.
  • Drain and dry the asparagus.
  • Fold the asparagus into the yogurt mixture.
  • Top each baguette with a spoonful of the creamy asparagus mixture.
  • Top each with a small spear of asparagus (or a few chive twigs or a sprig of fresh dill).
  • Plate and serve.

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Pinterest Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.