20120913

POACHED TROPICAL FISH with ORANGE COCONUT CURRY SAUCE


A lot of my recipes come from what is hanging out in my larder and my fridge. This is one of them.  I had a taste for some nice fish that wasn't heavy or fried and I wanted something a little sweet.  I happened to have some coconut cream in my bar fridge, coconut milk and about a cup or so of some Sunny Delight plus my frozen Tilapia fillets, Basmati rice and my spice rack so I was off and cooking.

Because I'm not cooking for a family, I always buy fish in individually vacuum sealed frozen packets so I can take out one or two for a meal.  The nice thing about that is that you can quickly defrost the fillets simply by putting them in some warm water and you'll be ready to go in less than half an hour or so.  Yes, I buy frozen fish because true fresh fish is pretty hard to come by in desert areas, plus I like to have a variety of fish available for the whim of my palate.  I also stock up when varieties are on sale or in season. 

Feel free to use the fish of your choice - I would have done this one with catfish (which I love) but I didn't have any so next time I might have to call it POACHED BOTTOM FEEDER FISH, lol.

POACHED TROPICAL FISH
with ORANGE COCONUT CURRY SAUCE

POACHING LIQUID - SAUCE
1 Cup Sunny Delight Original Juice
1/4 Cup Cream of Coconut
1 Tablespoon Curry Powder
1/4 Tsp. Fresh Ginger
1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
Dash or Two of Chipotle Hot Sauce
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt

DIRECTIONS: Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and cook on low until it coats the back of a metal spoon. Keep an eye on this and stir often so it will not reduce too much and/or burn.

POACHED TROPICAL FISH:
2 Mild White Fish Fillets
(I used Tilapia)
Butter
Extra Virgin Olive Oil

DIRECTIONS:
Saute fillets over a medium heat in a combination of EVOO and butter until lightly brown on the surface. Pour in the poaching liquid/sauce. Reduce the heat to low and allow the sauce to continue to reduce as the fillets poach in the liquid.

CONFETTI RICE
1/2 C. Basmati Rice
1 C. Coconut Water
Dried Cranberries
Dried Apricots, Diced
Toasted Pistachios, Chopped
Toasted Sunflower Seeds
Fleur du Sel

DIRECTIONS: Bring coconut water, salt and rice to a boil then immediately reduce heat to low and simmer according to the package instructions. When the rice is fully cooked add in your cranberries, apricots, pistachios and sunflower seeds, mix in and fluff rice.

 
Bon Appétit
 

Follow me on Twitter
Friend me on Facebook
Pinterest Me!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have a recipe you'd like to share? Do you like my recipes and my recipe cards? Let me know here - The Diva of Tiny Foods wants to know what you think!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Are My Recipe Cards Free to Download? Yes, please do - save them all, print them out and keep them or wrap them with a pretty ribbon and use as a gift! However, please do not use them on your blog, website or for any commercial purpose.

All postings and original art by PopArtDiva.com, copyright 2000-2019. This blog is for entertainment only. All links provided are for the convenience and amusement of the blog visitor only and not to be construed as endorsements of any form. Sharing recipes of my favorite foods and snacks.